Tuesday 15 May 2018

KOMTEP Selection Camp 2018 | Day 02

Day 02

The alarm clock rang. Starting the day off with mixed feeling. After having the breakfast, we headed straight to the meeting room. Since it was raining last night, the physical activity that supposedly took place at the field was relocated and conducted in the room. Each group was given a task to come out with an improvised game that can be played in the room itself. I suggested the Floor is Lava game. Fun and easy. Instead, my group decided to do a "Baling Selipar" game. Shall go with the majority though. Due to the limited space area, I suggested that we crawl around instead of running. It worked. 

On the next session, "Malaysia Education from the Perspective of the Teachers" we were given 5 minutes to study on the National Education Blueprint and Industry 4.0 before presenting our case in a debate-style presentation. For about half-an-hour, we were bombarded with provocative questions. I was quite furious up until this day when Dr. Ghazali just cut off my arguments in explaining how we wanted to prevent future generation to lose jobs and opportunities due to the incompetence of coping with AI revolution, which similar to what was happening in the Industrial Revolution before where people started to lose jobs in the textile industry due to the introduction of the machines. 

Only that when he agreed to my second argument which I had pointed out about why Malaysia is so keen on PISA assessment, while there were numbers of articles had criticised the implementation of the assessment which is not truly representing the whole population of the nations listed. Frankly speaking, it has been a while since I had this kind of conversations. Facts. Figures. Arguments. Truly refreshing. 

Dr. Jasbeer from ELTC resumed the session with an insightful view on the power of perceptions, to what extent it can bring damage to a certain community or organization. As frequent as it could be, we live a life full of perceptions. Commonly negative. Friend towards another friend. Employee towards the employer. Teachers towards the upper echelons of PPDs, JPNs, and KPM. My perceptions towards KPM and those who are responsible for enforcing the policies changed ever since. 

The third session, Global Citizenship was conducted by Puan Suraya from KPM. This broadens my view upon teachers role in not just shaping the young minds locally, but actually establishing a strong foundation in the changes of the global world community. To be on the same level as developed countries, lots of things needed to be done. Especially the teachers. 

After hours of sitting in the room, we had an opportunity to play few games at the hostel compound. My group managed to achieve second place behind Hanafi's group. After done playing the games, we then had a photoshoot session for our group's video. I was in-charged in making and editing the video. 

Evening session started with yet another debating activity. It was just that this time the motions were carried on by groups. My group's motion was based on School Based Assessment. I pointed out few arguments to support the motions but to my surprise, most of the participants developed their arguments within school's limit, which turned out to be one of the shortcomings in our discourse. Dr. Ghaz reminded us to think outside of the box and stop bringing up viewpoints as a teacher, but instead, to view certain issues from the policy maker's perspective.

The session ended up with a brief Teacher's Day celebration. Never been in my life that the Teachers Day was really meaningful to me as what I had experienced today. We cut the cakes, singing Kami Guru Malaysia song, exchange presents and burnt the midnight oil, listening to Dr. Ghaz's inspirational stories. He enlivened my teacher's soul legitimately. I felt like a new teacher, ready to flourished and inspired future generations.

1.00 am. We were still in the room. After the sharing session, my group and other groups as well decided to stay for a while for cultural performance practice. Which will be presented on the next day. Luckily, my group had decided to sing the Rasa Sayang Hey song along with the ukulele played by me. It took us 15 minutes to practice before we headed back to our room.

Back in the room. I would not be able to sleep because I need to complete the group video. So I stayed up until 4.00 am to complete the editing process. Soon after, the video was successfully completed. I used the GoPro Quik app. Easy and it turned out to be good. It was time to sleep. Tomorrow is the last day. Could not wait to finish the course. But something weird I had felt.

HM

No comments:

Post a Comment