Thursday 11 May 2017

War Cry - Negaraku

This month, I managed to successfully complete a new project - The War Cry project. This is the first time we had ever participated in the competition. We actually were offered to join this contest in the eleventh hour of which only a few days were given to start everything from scratch until the final stage of video recording. At first, it seemed quite impossible to do it but still, I took it as a challenge and straight away scribbled down some words for the chant.

The whole process of forming the team, distributing out the war cry lyrics, memorising the lyrics, learning the steps and recording took only 2 days to execute, which seemed quite burdensome yet, to my amazement, the students were able to pull the whole thing very well. Salute to these kids. At first, I was actually doubted that these kids would able to pull it. But they did! Though at the end there were many elements that needed to be cut off like some dynamic steps, lyrics, and formations, but still they had done a great job.

Apart from being able to perceive new cultural element of war cry, I had learned a lot about my ancestral root of ancient Malays and the historical diaspora of this unique Pacific Islanders through the process of making this war cry project a reality. I am now more apprehensive and appreciative towards the Maori and other Pacific aborigines, our very own distant relatives of Malayo-Polynesian who shared common languages and history.

On the whole, I am glad that I was given a chance by Puan Suzi to run this project. Though it was not perfect, at least the kids had shown a great determination in making this project possible. I am also glad that I gained lots of new knowledge out of it. Perhaps we could do better war cry performance by next year with proper planning and adequate time allocation. InsyaAllah. ͰM


No comments:

Post a Comment